Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Well that didn't work...

The whole bile salt acid diarrhea medication thing was a big fat failure.  My body simply could not tolerate the medication.  I was supposed to take it twice a day.  I couldn't even take it once a day for two days in a row because I needed at least three days in between doses for my intestines and rectum to recover from the side effects.  I had pain, I had bleeding, I even had a moment where I passed out on the bathroom floor because of all of that.  It was not good.  I traded a lot of diarrhea for diarrhea, pain, bleeding hemorrhoids, bloating, and a vast supply of never ending smelly farts that exhausted me just to expel.  I think I'll take just the diarrhea.

Now I am onto another type of medication that is said to help those with Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea (IBS-D) called Lotronex.  It's a scary drug.  It can cause a whole whirlwind of problems and could eventually wind me up in the hospital if I'm not super careful with it.  I haven't even gotten the prescription filled yet.  I am that afraid of it. 

Of course all my test results came back "NORMAL" and showed no active Crohn's so that can't be the problem.  Dr GI wants to try to control the diarrhea with the Lotronex but I'm not totally convinced just yet.  But the good news is I finally got a referral to a dietitian so I can sit down with someone and actually figure out how to eat and maybe that will help.  I do not advocate or encourage any such diet because all stomach issues are individual and what works for one person may or may not work for the next.  I fully understand that.  I'm not saying that everyone should go out and try what I am trying either because it might not be the thing that helps you.  But what I will be trying is the FODMAP diet.  I'll be posting more about that soon - once I meet with said dietitian.

Stay tuned to see how my body can screw this up too.

3 comments:

Sattin Bacus said...

Hello,

My name is Sattin, and I work for The Henne Group(www.thehennegroup.com)

We are conducting a unique project that involves individuals with Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis, that are on Entyvio. The Henne Group is collaborating with C Space, a trusted research agency, in building a private online advisory group, or online community, of 50 individuals living with various health ailments, in Australia, Canada, Germany, the US, and the UK. Participants will share their opinions and feedback with a well-respected pharmaceutical company, whose goal is to understand more about your journey as a patient and to help develop new therapies to improve patient care and treatment.

Patients who qualify and agree to participate will:
-Share their opinions and observations about their health experiences
-Interact with other individuals that have the same health ailments as they do
-Influence innovation at a pharmaceutical company
-Earn honoraria (Monthly electronic gift cards and payments) for market research participation

You can participate in this online community whenever and wherever it is convenient. You will be asked for your opinions and ideas in a variety of ways, including surveys, discussion boards, and brainstorming sessions. Members will typically spend about 5 to 15 minutes per week in the community. NO ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE TO SELL ANYTHING OR INFLUENCE MEMBERS' THINKING AND ALL PARTICIPATION IS CONFIDENTIAL.

As a thank you for your time and contributions to the community, members have the opportunity to receive honoraria in the form of Amazon e-gift certificates along the way. The more they participate, the more they receive!
If you are interested in participating, please complete this short screener to see if you qualify.

http://surveys.thehennegroup.com/survey/intweb.dll/project/cawi/1539_CAWI

Thank you!
Sattin Bacus

Heather said...

Good luck with the dietitian! I see mine for the first time in February. I'm afraid they'll only recommend one program and not understand that it's different for everyone :-I

I think my best bet is low residue, as that's how I survived my 20's, and I've gotten super sick after trying no gluten regiments...but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Currently I hold to a FODMAP, acid reflux, gallbladder friendly diet....

Sending you love and good vibes

Gamee22 said...

Hi! I've struggled with cd for about 5 years, I spent so much time going to Drs with no actual cure for it,, it's hard to live so uncomfortable :-/ was wondering if you ever did a parasite cleanse ?? I recently did a 30 day cleanse (called Ridset ) and followed. It by taking good probiotics .. It's supposed to target bad bacteria I guess but afterwards I'm in shock to have little to no symptoms .. Have done any herbal cleanses?