Thursday, January 22, 2015

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck - it's Crohn's disease

Today I'm in shock.  I'm utterly surprised.  I saw Dr. GI yesterday and talked with him for about 45 minutes.  He said a few things to me about my medical history that just floored me.  He said that what has been going on in my belly is NOT gastritis.  He said that several of my previous colonoscopies have shown actual active Crohn's disease.  He said that the bloodwork doesn't always show the inflammation going on with active disease.  He said CT scans are not good to look at intestines - solid organs like livers and kidneys yes, but bowels not so much.  He said my CT scans could be showing active disease that is being dismissed as "insignificant".  He said my symptoms are very spot on for a classic Crohn's flare up.  And then he said he was going to treat me for a flare up.  With real Crohn's medicine and not something to just appease the situation.  FINALLY! Real meds to help!

I started my Entocort this morning and will hopefully be able to get my Pentasa later this afternoon. Our stupid insurance is not wanting to pay for it but hopefully that will get worked out soon. I do have to have a small bowel follow through but that's fine.  It's better than a colonoscopy.  After talking with Dr. GI for a while he just came to the conclusion that if it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck it must be Crohn's disease.  He actually said that.  He's really an alright guy.  Kinda funny sometimes too.

I cannot wait to start feeling better.  It's amazing how much better I fell already knowing that I am not crazy  Knowing that the doctor really wants to help me.  I'm happy that my body decided to walk and talk like a duck.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've taken Entocort for years and it works very well for a flare but unfortunately it's not working longterm. I have to discontinue and then later begin again.
I wish you the best!

Anonymous said...

He doesn't seem to be up on the current CT techniques. Normal CT isn't good, but CT Ethnography is. This presentation was a wonderful education on the 4 or so different ways of looking at the small bowel.


http://www.uwgi.org/GetFile.ashx?filepath=/Gastroenterology/Frontiers%20Presentation%20Archive/20100827_julka.pdf&filename=20100827_julka.pdf