Thursday, December 18, 2014


We finally got occupancy of our new little house in the beginning of November.  We had to clean everything out because no one lived there for over a year.  The man that lived there prior had passed away and everything he owned was still in the house.  It was full of junk, furniture, food, everything you can imagine.  The hot water heater had leaked or exploded (or something) but we knew that going in.  It took several days to just clear out some of the junk so we could be able to move around inside.  The outside became our trash pit. I have so many before and after pictures to post.

We had to completely rip up our bedroom floor because of water damage and so we could fix the hot water heater. This was all up to my nephew to do the plumbing and my brother in law to do the floor.  Jay, the hubs, got a crash course in everything and helped everyone.  Once that was done we were glad we had hot water - or any water for that matter, and a floor.  We went about a week with a huge hole in the floor from where the water heater went.

The next big task was to get our daughter's bedroom carpet cleaned and the walls painted.  That didn't work.  We realized we needed new carpet and new padding.  The original carpet was not coming clean.  So we got new carpet and laid it ourselves.  Well, Jay and my nephew laid it. It looks better than professionally laid carpet if I do say so myself.

Next up, the toilet in our one bathroom needed replaced.  Once we pulled the toilet it was evident that the bathroom needed a whole new floor as well.  Seriously.  So again my brother in law and nephew and husband did the work.  At the speed of sound too because they all know how important it is for me to have a bathroom! These guys are truly amazing.

What about the kitchen walls and floor?  A nice coat or two of white paint made the kitchen look a ton better.  The floor was a different story. It was pretty ugly linoleum, but we could live with it for a while.  Well we decided not to live with it and put in some hardwood flooring.  Myself and the hubs started that job and my nephew helped finish it.  It was a pain getting all those little pieces to fit in properly together.  Many broken pieces, wrong sided sawed pieces and many thrown in a rage pieces later we had a beautiful kitchen floor.

Now the living room.  The carpet was disgusting and if our daughter's carpet wouldn't come clean there was no way this would either. The previous owner smoked, in the house, a lot.  We still had to wash all the walls and paint what we could.  But once we pulled up the old carpet and padding in the living room, don't you know that damn floor needed some replacing too.  Thank God it was just one side.  My brother in law fixed that too.  Then we had to get carpet.  And it was a bigger space so we had to call on a once removed cousin to come lay that carpet.  Knees were injured during the previous carpet installment so we had to find an outside source.  But we did and the carpet looks great!

So finally, after six weeks of constant work on our new little house, blood, sweat, and many tears later, we moved in.  We moved on a Monday night in the cold, rainy December weather of Ohio.

Now in the midst of all this repairing and remodeling we did lose a family member.  Lazarus, our huge black shepherd was diagnosed with an abdominal tumor and had to be put down.  It was awful. He was the third one in the last six months.  But we still have Loki the pup and Ellie Rue the husky princess with us and they seem to be adjusting okay.  Ellie isn't fond of change, but really, who is?

We still have only one bathroom but soon, I hope, we will add another one.  The stress of all of this seemed insurmountable.  I've lost about fifteen pounds just from constantly pooping from the stress.  The sadness of losing our home and a great majority of what we owned, and three of our pets in the last six months, plus all the debt alone should have sent me right back to the whack shack. Mentally, I am  beyond exhausted.  But then trying to find all the supplies we needed, the flooring, the hardware, the help...looking back it doesn't seem that bad; but it was.  There were so many days when I never thought I would be sitting in my own home warm and comfortable with my Loki by my side writing this post.  So much has happened in such a short amount of time.  It's just now starting to feel like home.  We have a beautiful lake right out back and we can see it from our bedroom window.  It's a very stress relieving view.  I can't wait until warmer weather so we can fish and start building our deck.

I just want to express my gratitude to my brother in law, Tony and my nephew, Joel for all of their help.  If it weren't for the two of them I don't know how we would have ever moved in.  The hubs about broke his back to get everything ready for us and still continued to work full time all week regardless of the hours he worked on the new place in the evenings and weekends.  I really thought he was going to just collapse a few times but he didn't.  He's a beast!  Thank you guys!

I also really need to thank my mother in law and father in law for their financial contributions.  Seriously, you will be paid back if it kills me!  We wouldn't be in this home without you two and I love you both so much!  Thank you!

For everyone else who helped with little things or things I don't even know about probably, thank you!  Your help means so much!

The moving disaster is finally over and we are all settled in our new home.  Now if I could just get that disability things would be a lot easier.  But for now I am just grateful.  Very, very grateful.

No comments: