Friday, July 11, 2014

I'm in heroin withdrawal - sort of

When you are sick a lot you stay home and do nothing but watch TV. Thanks to Netflix I have a large variety of very interesting material to watch. I recently came across a series called Drugs, Inc.  Being a nurse, and a patient, I am interested in drugs of any kind and how they affect your body. Not that I want to take these drugs, just want to know about them. I'm weird. Whatever.

While watching Drugs, Inc., I was able to learn a few things I didn't know about heroin; it's consumption and withdrawal.  These were confirmed by research on the Internet.  One particular site states this about heroin withdrawal.

Heroin Withdrawal Symptoms and Warnings

Heroin withdrawals can be very difficult, even impossible to manage without professional medical assistance. A physical addiction to heroin is marked by the withdrawal symptoms that set in once use is stopped abruptly. Withdrawals from heroin can set in within six to 24 hours after you discontinue use. Commonly reported withdrawal symptoms of heroin include compulsive itching, sweating, nausea, vomiting, anxiety, extreme agitation, depression, cramps, insomnia, restlessness, muscle spasms, cold sweats, chills, diarrhea, fever, muscle and bone pain, yawning and sneezing. The severity of these symptoms can depend on the amount of the drug taken and the frequency.

Let's take these symptoms one by one shall we.  Compulsive itching.  I'm not sure if it's due to some of my medication or dry skin, but I am pretty consistently itchy.  I take Benedryl and Atarax for it.   Sweating.  I sweat excessively in the summer and winter if I get too warm.  Could be a weight thing or medication related but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the Fibromyalgia.  Maybe I will post on that at a later time.  Moving on, Nausea and Vomiting.  Every day at some point during the day I feel nauseous.  I rarely vomit but the nausea is always there.  After I eat, before I eat, while I poop and after I poop - which we know is a lot.  Nausea is a constant battle for me. Phenergan is a staple in this house.  Anxiety, extreme agitation and depression kind of all go together for me. I was recently allowed to lower some of my depression and anxiety medications.  As you know I was in the hospital for my depression and anxiety recently so it's definitely a huge part of my life.  I struggle daily. I get irritated easily with people and their stupid actions.  I don't understand why people do the things they do.  I regularly want to throat punch people but I don't.  It's  hard for me to control my irritation fits but I've dealt with them for so many years now that I can hide them pretty well. Cramps. Please, Crohn's pain, surgery/scar tissue pain, and IBS far surpass anything you can deem as "cramps".  Oh, did I mention that I get bad charlie horses in my calves on a regular basis? Or my intestines will ball up and spasm so bad I can move? I won't even go into what my menstrual cramps were like.  Insomnia.  Unless I am medicated I don't sleep.  Currently I'm taking Trazadone every night. Restlessness.  Goes with the extreme agitation and anxiety I think.  Muscle spasms.  See "cramps".  Cold Sweats and Chills.  I had a hysterectomy in 2007.  I am nauseous every day.  All of this goes hand in hand.  Diarrhea.  Really?  Need I even explain? I have four different medications I can take to relieve or help with my diarrhea.  But they are not without their own side effects and sometimes they don't even work.  Fever.  My normal body temperature is 97 degrees.  If it goes a few degrees up or down from that I am miserable.  Too hot, too cold.  I am rarely comfortable.  Muscle and bone pain.  Hi, I'm Jenni.  I have Fibromyalgia.  Yawning and Sneezing - whatever.  That's normal if you live in Ohio.  Which I do.

Apparently I'm withdrawing from heroin.  Good to know I'm just dope sick.  

Seriously now, far be it from me to say that living with Crohn's disease, Fibromyalgia, severe depression and anxiety is like heroin withdrawal.  I've never used heroin and have no desire too. I've never withdrawn from heroin so I can't say how intense these symptoms are for them but on paper there seems to be a lot of similarities to what I feel daily and what others with the same problems feel and what the heroin addict feels when they need a fix.  Just making an interesting comparison.  

2 comments:

BrightSide said...

Just a quick comment... I used to get BLINDING charlie horses in my calves too. They I upped my potassium intake and went away totally. A supplement or regular bananas might help. :)

Angel Kirkland said...

Jenni I can tell you that every one of those symptoms are very intense. I went yesterday for 12 hours without using and the Charlie horses were so bad in my feet and shin area I was crying,amd mind you I don't normally cry from pain I experience, and I've been in immortal pain before.but how do you deal with that daily I would just want to die.