Friday, August 10, 2012

Me, embarrassed? Pshh!

I found myself, not once, but twice last week telling someone that I have IBS.  Not Crohn's, not chronic diarrhea, not half a bowel and small intestine.  Just plain old ordinary Irritable Bowel Syndrome.  I do have both IBS and Crohn's so the statement was true enough but it left me wondering.  Why did I do that??  They both suck.  They both make me poop.  What's the difference?

It's easier sometimes, I guess.  Almost everyone has heard of IBS.  It is a little more acceptable maybe than a "disease".  It's not something that requires a ton of explanation.  You say IBS and people just know.  They are like, "Oh, okay."  You say Crohn's or Colitis and people are like, "Wha??  What's that?? (insert dumb look here)" 

And sometimes - I know this will be unbelievable but - I do get embarrassed.  Sometimes my poop issues embarrass me and I'd rather just not say anything at all.  It's not because I haven't come to terms with it or anything like that.  It's just complicated.  I hate having to explain it all.  And any explanation I give always ends up in a detailed medical history and blah, blah, blah.  It's just not worth it sometimes.

So yea, some days I've just got IBS....

No comments: