Wednesday, June 27, 2012

That moment of clarification

I have had more things happen to me in my short life than most of the 90 year olds I care for at work.  And I've decided, that's okay.  One thing I love about my job is that I can relate to the people I take care of.  I have such an appreciation for their wisdom, their struggles, and their fears about certain things...like cataract surgery, medication side effects, and restroom issues. 

I recently counseled an 85 year old resident through her cataract surgery.  I was able to give her first hand advice about what she would go through, how she would feel, and what the outcome would be.  I, with no help from nursing school, have been able to go over medication side effects with memory care patients when they can't remember what they are taking and why.  I know by they names of the medication and sometimes by just looking at the pills.  I take or have taken a lot of the medication they take.  I also know immediately how to treat a variety of bowel concerns, again without any help from nursing school.  Most days I feel like super nurse.

I can honestly say I love my job.  I have finally found that one thing I believe I was meant to do.  And I also believe that my life of bad health has made me a better nurse.  I'm a better caregiver because I know how I like to be cared for when I am sick.  I love that God has given me this amazing opportunity to share all of the knowledge that I have gained the hard way with my residents.  There really is something to be said for helping others and seeing that your kindess can bring a smile to their face.

Some days you just have that moment of clarification.  When the planets align perfectly, all the traffic lights are green, you can fit into your "skinny" jeans, and you don't dread the idea of going to work.  This past month as been that way for me.  I fully intend on looking back at this post in six months and I really hope I feel the same way.

No comments: