Friday, April 20, 2012

Challenge Day 20

For some reason I am finding myself unable to do today's post.  It is supposed to be a news article announcing the cure for a disease.  It isn't that I don't want to see many diseases cured, or imagine a life without things like Crohn's disease, Ulcerative Colitis, IBS and Fibromyalgia.  It is just there are too many diseases to narrow down.  So many diseases have touched my life that I cannot chose.  And I cannot help but think about those people I have lost to disease and how my life would be different had there been a cure. 

Lung cancer took my grandfather when I was 9 years old.
Cancer of the vulva that spread to the breast took my grandmother when I was 13 years old.
Multiple Sclerosis took my father when I was 15 years old and Polio almost took him when he was 5 years old.
Alzheimer's took my other grandmother.
Prostate cancer didn't take my other grandfather though he did have it.
Brain cancer took my brother-in-law.
Meniere's disease has just been diagnosed in another brother-in-law.
Breast cancer took a very young cousin of mine and another cousin is going through treatments for it  currently.  I also have two aunts that have had breast cancer.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is slowly killing my one aunt - one that already has breast cancer.
Colon cancer took my step-grandfather and my uncle was just diagnosed.
Chiari Malformation, Bacterial Meningitis, Staph, and Pneumonia almost took my husband.
Asthma effects my mother-in-law.
Asperger's effects my daughter.
Celiac Disease limits a countless number of people I know.
Diabetes is destroying a very good friend of mine.
Depression / Bipolar Disorder effects one of my best friends.

Look at this - I haven't even mentioned Crohn's, Fibromyalgia or anything else that I, and so many other of my friends, struggle with.  How am I supposed to pick one and announce a "cure".  Nope, not gonna happen.  Not by me.  Not today.

No comments: