Monday, November 14, 2011

Being Thankful

I'm a status poster.  I post statuses on Facebook about random things that happen in my life, current thoughts or attitudes, stupid things people do that I witness, stupid things I do, and just general life updates.  I post Twitter statuses (I guess they are referred to as "tweets") about bathroom things and Crohnie stuff. (I guess you could call them pooweets.) 

By in large I guess the majority of my status updates have leaned toward the negative side during the last six months or so.  Being unhappy at work, for the most part, contributed to this.  But, since Thanksgiving is quickly approaching - and my favorite holiday of the whole year aside from my birthday - I decided to start posting things I am thankful for starting on November 1st.  So far I have done well.  I have actually even managed to post two statuses a day for things I am thankful for.  I like to be an over achiever.  Actually, I am pretty impressed with myself for being able to come up with so many things I am thankful for and being able to keep my statuses positive.  I'm thankful for silly things like donuts and being able to sleep in to more serious things like my family, friends and my husband's job that is keeping us afloat right now.  But there is one major thing that I am thankful for that I am saving for my last "thankful status".  I will give you a sneak peak now though.

I'm thankful that I have Crohn's disease.  Yes, it is true.  I am thankful that I have had to struggle for nearly 20 years with this thing that has destroyed my insides, made my outsides look like nothing less than a horrible science experiment gone arye, and caused other problems like Vitamins D & B12 deficiencies, severe and debilitating depression, Arthritis, IBS, GERD, Fibromyalgia and Pancreatitis.  Yes, I am grateful for this Crohn's because it has made me strong.  It has made me a fighter.  It has helped me decipher who my true friends are.  It has helped me find new friends.  It has helped me encourage others.  Not a day goes by where I don't have some kind of effect from Crohn's.  Even when the disease itself is in remission, I still have the lingering effects of short gut syndrome, extreme urgency, and mild pain.  My body is riddled with scars and scar tissue.  But when I look at my scars I am reminded about what I have endured and how tough I really am.  I know what I'm made of.  I know I have the guts to "fight like a girl" when it comes to my health and my care.  And for all of these reasons I am thankful for my disease.  My Crohn's.  I'm not just someone with Crohn's disease, I am someone who is all of these things because of Crohn's disease. 

No comments: