Thursday, August 4, 2011

Can I get a WOOT WOOT!!

I had the much dreaded heart to heart with my boss today and laid all my cards on the table about my health situation.  I told her that currently I am the healthiest I have been since I graduated nursing school and I pride myself on being much more than just a person with a disease.  I also explained that the only thing that is a concern is my getting to a bathroom when I needed to go. (Which isn't really an issue considering I work in an medical/hospital building with restrooms everywhere!)  She is a nurse. She understands what Crohn's is and how it affects a person. 

I told her I felt as if I needed to prove myself before I brought up the whole thing and told her that I think I do a really good job at being a dedicated employee, mother, wife and contributing member of society despite my disease.  She agreed.  I believe the term "damn good job" was used.  I also told her that she didn't need to make any special considerations for me or lighten my workload in any way because of what I deal with.  I've been living around Crohn's since 1996.  She said she wouldn't.  That made me happy. 

Now she knows everything and I know that I won't be treated any differently. And she is aware that I am not shooting up every time I go to the bathroom.  Or trying to escape my job responsibilities.  After the soul baring conversation and I went home.  Then my boss called me.  On the phone. 

She told me that she really wanted to explain something to me face to face but with the "health conversation" didn't have time.  I know you are dying to know what she said right..... 




She informed me that she gave me a raise, switched me from hourly to salary and will be cutting me in on the monthly commissions as well.  WOW!  SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!

3 comments:

Ragamuffin said...

double woot woot! awesome news.

Tim said...

Congratulations Jenni!
It has always been a hard converstaion for me to have with my bosses. However, the conversation needs to be had. I liked how you waited a while, and proved yourself first. That way they don't begin to have doubts that you'll do you job well.

William Malmborg said...

That is great news. I'm glad you told them about it. I know that can be hard to do, but it is always so much better than hiding it. I know people who hid their disease and were eventually let go because their work suffered from it and when they tried to fight it they couldn't because the boss didn't know they suffered a disease and thus wasn't firing them because of it.