Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My name is Jenni...

I have always denied it.  I have always "poo-pooed" (pardon the pun) the idea.  I have made jokes to avoid it.  I have even gotten mad about just to stand my ground.  But it's time I come clean.  It's time I come out of the proverbial water closet.  So here goes.  Ahem...

My name is Jenni and I am lactose intolerant.

Though I posted this as my Facebook status a couple days ago I didn't get the "HI JENNI s" I hoped for.  But not all my "friends" are IBDers or IBSers or even Lactose Intolerants.  But that's okay.  I am really putting it out there for my own satisfaction of coming to terms with this new found reason my belly isn't happy.

What I have found is simple.  Really stupid actually.  I guess I have known it for months, maybe even years.  And my mother, too, doesn't tolerate the lactose and has pushed me to examine this as a possible issue for quite a while now.  It's true that I do get a little extra bloated and gassy and crampy when I have ice cream, a glass of milk, or milky/creamy foods.  I also get some pretty nasty fatty diarrhea.  (That's Steatorrhea for all my medically nerdy friends!)  So maybe Mom is right.  Okay, (eye roll) Mom is usually right!

I also have an aunt who (God love her!) is hell bent on Dairy Ease - some kind of pill from the late '80's that she has been trying to "cure" me with since before I even knew I had Crohn's disease.  She swears by this stuff and says it will make all things new again.  Colors will become brighter, world peace will ensue, the dead will rise, etc... This is one reason I didn't want to admit I had issues with lactose. I have way too much time invested in Dairy Ease jokes.  In all reality I tried Lactaid once and it didn't help, but I may not have used it correctly and I think I was expecting to not have any bowel issues after just one pill.  Is that wrong??

So another choice I am making in this second half of the new year is to revamp the diet some more.  Exclude milk and milk pro.... I am having a hard time saying this....  ducts as much as possible and see if it helps any.  This is seriously going to suck!  I love milk.  I love cheese.  I love everything dairy stand for!!  I love cows! I love their big eyelashes! I love cow print!!  But I digress. 

This is really going to suck.  Just saying.

3 comments:

BrightSide said...

Welcome Jenni, welcome. You are not alone. I cut out dairy and my husband did too and we feel much better. I will still eat SMALL ammounts of cheese and a yogurt once in a while but that's it. I buy fortified organice rice milk and I like it a lot.

johnbradley said...

Me too! I find lacose free milk works and can barely taste the difference. LActose free cheese just doesn;t taste like cheese though, so I treat myself occasionally and take the consequences!

Rae said...

Jenni, my sister-in-law lives on Lactaid pills. She takes some before she eats something that contains dairy and has no problems. You might give it a try before giving up dairy altogether. I can do dairy (except milk) if I don't overdo it.