Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Mammogram

My mom's oldest sister was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was in her late fifties/early sixties.  She beat it.  She was diagnosed with a different kind of breast cancer in her late sixties early seventies.  She beat that too.  She had a granddaughter who was diagnosed with a totally different kind of breast cancer in her mid twenties.  She died weeks before her 31st birthday.  (She had a blog that is still up and her mom writes on it now - http://fortscancersux.blogspot.com/).  My mom's other sister (my Godmother) was just diagnosed with breast cancer a few days ago.  I am worried and sad.

I discussed this with my family doctor.  You see, since I had the hysterectomy and have been on hormone replacement therapy, I have absolutely no use for my Dr. OB/GYN.  I have no parts to be assessed anymore yet they feel they need to do this regularly before they refill my prescription of estrogen.  Okay, okay, I know what you are thinking.  I should still get checked because I can still get different forms of cancer "downstairs" and I know that.  But I was checked last year so it isn't like it's been decades.  Anywhooo... as I discussed my family history of breast cancer with my family doc she suggested I get a mammogram. Just as a baseline.  Something to compare to as I age and honestly, I felt good about that.  I want to make sure... you know, peace of mind.  One less thing to worry about. 

I went for said mammogram today.  It's not the most humiliating test I have done so that's good.  I can't even say that it's the most uncomfortable test I have done either - though it ranks right up there.  The radiology tech was awesome and made it less embarrassing so that helped a lot.  I'm not one to bare it all.  The more clothes I can wear the better, in my opinion.  Let's face it, when my clothes come off for tests the drugs are sure to follow to knock me out.  Think colonoscopy.  Not this time.  But the tech was sweet and didn't laugh at my fat or my surgery scars on my stomach.  At least not in front of me anyway.  The worst part about the test is that you cannot wear any deodorant.  It's summer.  It's hot.  I'm fat.  I sweat.  No, I don't "glisten".  I sweat.  Heck after a day at clinicals moving around old people I 'man sweat'!! But I did shower right before I left for the appointment so I wasn't too stinky.  Oddly enough, the room wasn't cold like most procedure rooms.  And as I was a little on the nervous side about standing half naked in a room with a total stranger lifting my boobs onto a platform one at a time to be squished by a plastic plate so I did inevitably start to perspire a little.  But by the time I was wishing I had my stick of Secret the test was over and I was free to go.  Yay!  But OUCH!  My test results will be sent to my doctor, 3-5 days, blah, blah, blah.

I'm glad I had the test done.  But I have to say, I am sore.  Really sore.  I am literally thinking of taking some mild pain relievers.  Okay, who am I kidding, I seriously would take some Vicodin right now if I had it.  When I was little (and skinnier) I couldn't wait to have boobs.  Now, as I sit here hurting I am wondering if I can somehow become flat chested again so I can just stand against a flat Xray screen with no squishing next time. 

3 comments:

Rae said...

Good for you! A baseline is so important. For future reference, if you have moles or skin tags, be sure they mark them with the little donut stickers. I had a tech who didn't once and it made for some bad results until I had to have it redone.....I'm sorry cancer runs in your family. :-(

The Gutsy Girl said...

Why no deoderant?! I sweat at the drop of a hat, too!

Jenni said...

No deoderant, powder or perfume. It can show up as little white specks on the film. And I am sure it can gunk up the machine cause you are basically all up on it and everything. I am sure they clean it but you know...