Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The latest thing I probably don't have...

I saw Dr. GI today and we had quite a confab about my pain. The pain that has been waking me up at night that he said he thought was "scar tissue". He now thinks I have this:

Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction (SOD)
SOD describes the situation where the sphincter goes into “spasm”, causing temporary back up of biliary and pancreatic juices, resulting in attacks of abdominal pain (or pancreatitis). The pain symptoms are very similar to those caused by bile duct or gallbladder stones. Indeed, sphincter of Oddi dysfunction most frequently occurs in patients who have previously undergone removal of the gallbladder (cholecystectomy). SOD may be one manifestation of other muscular spasm problems in different areas of the body (such as the esophagus, or intestine – irritable bowel syndrome).

I had blood work done today to see if I have elevated liver and pancreatic enzyme levels which would indicate that I may actually have this condition. Which we all know that I test negative for everything so I doubt anything will show up. Which I guess is fine but this pain is getting a little out of hand. It wakes me up in the middle of the night and if it is just scar tissue/adhesions I am totally out of luck because to fix that you would need to have surgery - which causes scar tissue. And I cannot be out of school for a stupid surgery.

Not that I am hoping for having SOD but it is fixable by a quick ERCP and a clip of the bile duct. But you don't want to go clipping this duct all willy-nilly like without a good reason to so that eliminates just doing it to see if it helps. Plus, Dr. GI told me all kinds of other crazy information about this condition and how they could test for it but I am not even going to go there at this point. I'm hoping the blood test tells him what he needs to know.

He also believes that I have a touch of the Irritable Bowel Syndrome on top of the Inflammatory Bowel Disease. (I mean really?! Can't I just have one issue and stick with it? I'm running out of organs to have something wrong with!! ) Apparently the IBS could be contributing to the days I have a lot of diarrhea and the days that it's not so awful bad. HOWEVER, this will not contribute to the fat malabsorption I have. He still feels like that is a pancreas thing. But since I am refusing to take the other pancreatic enzymes he gave me since the first ones I tried almost resulted in my early death, we shall never know if they help or not.

Basically I am still just a medical mystery. Maybe once I get through nursing school I can just diagnose myself. HAHA!

That's about it for now.

No comments: