Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Heavy sigh...I think I'm dying

I'm pretty certain I am slowly dying. For the last three days I have not only had the pain and horrendous diarrhea that comes with a flare up of Crohn's (or dysentery) which I have been battling for quite some time now, I have also been experiencing bleeding when I go to the restroom. I am in a lot of pain and pretty certain I am dehydrated. No matter how long you have experienced the wealth of disgusting bodily functions that goes along with any form of IBD, you still tend to freak out a bit when you see the toilet full of blood and blood all over your toilet paper. It isn't natural. But like most things in my life what isn't natural and what are normal for me always go hand in hand.
I called the doctor like a good patient and he not only wants me to take a new course of Flagyl (which has so far done nothing), he wants me to take a higher dose of it and take a course of Cipro along with it. I still can't get in for the colonoscopy and EGD until October 16. He did offer me some pain killers for my pain but I kindly said no. They don't help anyway so why bother right? Right.
I wish I could be a bit more positive about this but lately I just feel really crappy - pardon the pun. I'm tired, I am dizzy and lightheaded (more than usual), I am achy, my bones hurt, my teeth itch, I can't stop pooping, and now I am bleeding! I just want to lay down for a while but I have to be at work. I can't afford not to be. How sad. Maybe I'll pass out soon.
Here's wishing you a better day than me and the full blessings God has for you!

1 comment:

BrightSide said...

Oh, Jenni! Don't give up! Please let me urge you to call your doctor back and accept the prescrip for pain killers. I've used Percocet as needed and it helps me quite a bit. It of course doesn't make the pain go away completely, but it takes the edge off. It also has the added bonus of causing constipation, which in our case just slows down the diarrhea. I went through a time where I resisted taking the pain pills b/c I thought that meant I was giving in. But really, I learned not to try and be a hero. Your quality of life is the main thing.

The bleeding could be a sign of some complications, I kindly suggest that you call back your doctor and insist on being examined or given whatever tests are needed to rule out things like fistulae or bleeding ulcers.

Good luck, and try to stay at least a tiny bit positive- flare ups don't last forever!

~hug~