Monday, September 22, 2008

Stupid things

Some things are just stupid. Medicine for one is stupid. Yes, some of it actually works well enough to make the problem you are taking it for either go away or at least a little better. But sometimes the medicine itself causes such bad side effects it is almost as bad as or worse than the problem you are taking it for to begin with. Enter Prednisone. But that is another post altogether.

I have been scheduled for a colonoscopy and EGD – or scope down my throat into my stomach for those of you not familiar with Inflammatory Bowel Disease lingo. It’s scheduled for October 16th. I have had roughly 10 of these procedures done over the course of the time I have had Crohn’s disease and even though I know exactly what to do, what will happen, and how I will feel I still get nervous and freaked out. I don’t know why. All I have to do is take the meds to make me poop, show up, get knocked out (my favorite part) wake up and go home. No biggie. I am already pooping 7-10 times a day as it is and it’s all diarrhea – that’s watery – anyway. (I’ll explain that in a minute) I am not afraid of the test or the anesthesia. I like being drugged and put to sleep. I lllooovvvee sleep!!! So I don’t know what freaks me out.

Aside from having those tests scheduled which will be in the back of my head freaking me out until the middle of October, I was also put on Flagyl aka Metronidazole. Click here for more info on Flagyl. But be warned…

Before taking metronidazole, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:
· a stomach or intestinal disease such as Crohn's disease

Why? Is that a bad thing???? I’m confused.

Also Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it, call your doctor. Isn’t diarrhea always watery??? Isn’t un-watery diarrhea just regular poop?

And my favorite of all the drugs – the side effects:
Less serious side effects may include:
· nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea
(that could be watery)
Um, that is why the doctor gave me Flagyl to begin with.

As I said, some things are just stupid.

No comments: